Saturday, October 24, 2009

Out of Retirement

Slippery Slope
Well, I've been out of the racing scene for a while...not that I ever really "raced".  I paid for food and shirts and hung out with friends, got a little running in too.  My last and longest race was back in April, the Free State 40 miler.  It wasn't my best race.  I felt sluggish and the mud on the course was brutal.  A few weeks before that, I ran what I consider to be the toughest race I've run so far.  The Rockin' K Marathon.  It's not the longest race I've done, but it's definitely the most difficult course I've run, even more so than the infamous Psycho Wyco.  It was a very slow race for me (6:30-something) and I struggled with tummy problems for most of it.

Crash and Burn
After those two races (which were bleh) and heading right on into finals, then sickness, the negatives just started piling up, and I worked myself into a running depression.  Realizing that I didn't have enough time to train for ultras while I was in grad school was a difficult pill to swallow.  It's hard to take steps back when you've only gone forward.  So I finally came to terms with what I had do -- run when I could until I finished grad school classes.

Silver Lining
When I received an e-mail from the Kansas Ultrarunners' Society, announcing that registration for this year's Rockin' K had opened, the wheels in the ol' noggin began turning.  Rockin' K is in April, meaning I would have 4 months after finishing class to train.  Sounded perfect to me!  So, after a nearly year-long hiatus, I will run my next race -- and hopefully show it who's boss this time.

5 comments:

  1. Get at it!!!! No one runs fast at Rockin K. It's gotta be the slowest "mean" course in the midwest. But yet, the race sells out nearly every year. Why?? Because we are dumb. We lose our I.Q. for the day just to get a worthless, rusty horseshoe medal. I'm getting on a rant here. See you out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweeeet! Go get that "rusty horseshoe"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! I'm so very, very glad Laurie! "cuz that means lots of training time with us!! I'm really pleased to hear you are getting your mojo back, I can't imagine how difficult it is to juggle it all!! XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'll do great Laurie!

    I like your new blog title.

    ReplyDelete