Friday, November 20, 2009

Feelin' Good

Been enjoying a runner's high the past couple days.  I've put more mileage in than I have in a long time.  Wednesday evening I ran the approximately 10mi Land's End loop at Clinton Lake.  The guys (Nick, Jim B., and Justin) were nice enough to let me lead.  Ok I didn't really ask.  I just got in front.  I wanted to lead since I figured I would be the slowest and wanted to set the speed.  The run felt great!  I did get a little clumsy toward the end (a good indication of fatigue) but was able to keep up the pace anyway.  I'd forgotten that Clinton has some pretty decent hills out past 3mi.  The leaf-covered, mud-slicked hills were challenging in my New Balance 790's.  I love these shoes!  They're light and built for speed, but not built to propel efficiently through mud.  Despite their limitations in slippery mud, I would be hesitant to wear anything else since I've become so accustomed to the lightness of the shoe.  It's hard for me to go back to the collection of big clunkers I have lined up in the hall at home.

After Wednesday night's run, I wasn't sure I'd be able to do the planned 9mi with Coleen on Thursday on the River Trails.  But by run time my legs felt fine.  I figured I'd do a 4.5mi warm-up loop then see how I felt.  I had it in my head that we would run slower the second loop but when we started, I noticed we were going just as fast, if not faster.  But with all our chatting, I stopped thinking about the speed and let my legs do the work!  The river trails are pretty nontechnical so it's easy to run without thinking about running.  Before I knew it, we were done with the second loop!  I felt great!  I was really surprised that I ran 9mi at a decent pace the day after a 10mi run.  Seems like I'm finally getting back in shape.

Now, I'm thinking about running Sander's Saunter 10k this weekend...AFTER I'm done with registration duties of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment