Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Count Down

It's been a few weeks since my last post.  There are a few reasons for my blabsence.  (I just made that up this second: blog + absence = blabsence.)  The first is that I've been tapering, so haven't been running a whole lot lately soooo there hasn't been much to say.  The second is, I've been sort of mentally jumbled lately.  I've been preoccupied with my upcoming race (this Saturday), and it seems like I can't form a cohesive thought  much less put one into words. 

So here's the synopsis of the past few weeks.  I did a 28-mi night run on Fri, April 30th, which felt pretty good.  I was surprised at how good I felt actually, and ran the last 4mi at about an 8 or 9 minute per mile pace.  I had taken some 5-hr energy to keep myself awake and I think that might have spurred on the crazy energy level at the end.  The stuff was definitely effective but in the future I won't take it unless I really need to.  It just felt too unnatural, like I'd been given a dose of epinephrine.  I had intended to run 10 on Saturday but was too sleepy from the late night Friday run, so I shifted to Sunday.  It went well, and I felt good about the weekend.  So I had a good long run weekend. 

The next week wasn't so good.  I got busy, then I was out of town over the weekend, leaving me with a 5mi week.  I also managed to catch a stomach bug over that weekend so the next week started off slow too.  That one week just totally threw me off and left me nervous about the race, but I guess things aren't always perfect.  As a matter of fact, they seldom are. 

I'm not sure why I'm letting myself get so worked up about this race.  It IS the longest race I've attempted, but I have completed 2 trail marathons, 3 50k's and a 40 miler.  I'm also probably in the best shape I've ever been in.  I'm also running on my home turf.  Maybe my hang up is that I have so much going in my favor that failing would suck that much more.  In case you didn't know, a DNF is an ultra runner's worst nightmare.  (I have one under my belt so far).  Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'll be just fine once I get on the trail.  I just wish Saturday would hurry up and get here!

5 comments:

  1. It's interesting you mention 5-hour energy. I had never tried it, but used it at around mile 38 of my first 50 mile run. I think it helped, but not sure if I will use it again either. Although you missed a week of training it sounds like you are well prepared. Don't worry about a DNF. Just run your own race and you'll do fine. Looking forward to hearing how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the words of encouragement Brian!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're gonna do great! You've put in long runs and lots of time on your feet!! Just go out and lay it down this weekend like you know how to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Amy!! Are you coming out?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, volunteering. I think Coleen's got me out on a road somewhere... maybe a turn-around point?? Not sure.

    ReplyDelete