Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Course Grooming


Well it was a LITTLE wet today.  It started raining before I began my march across campground 3 with my loppers in hand.  I imagined if a camper were to peer out a window, he might think I was headed out to the woods to mince up some bodies.

The first half mile of the trail seemed pretty clear.  I just trimmed a few lowish hanging branches back.  I was wondering what Gary was talking about when he said Cactus Ridge trail was rough.  It didn't take long to find the reason.  Before I knew it, the trail was closing in on me from all sides.  I lopped overhead branches but shorter plants were also pushing in on the sides.  The lopper was extremely inefficient at taking care of the low lying vegetation with tiny stalks in large numbers.  I really needed some hedge shears in addition to the loppers.

Well I cleared a few rough areas before I called it an evening.  The rain wouldn't let up.  I was completely soaked, getting cold and not going anywhere too quickly.  I hiked back to the truck, thinking again about what nonexistent onlookers would think of the drowned rat walking around with a pair of loppers.  I threw the loppers in the back, took off my shoes, jeans, jacket and shirt without a second thought to decency and hopped in the truck.

I live to lop another day.

P.S.  I should clarify that when I say "rough" I don't mean impassible, I just mean a little overgrown.  If by some chance, the weather and time prohibit me from perfecting 100% the foliage, know that you will still be able to manage just fine.

5 comments:

  1. Laurie you're awesome!! Not only do you take care of me you also take care of the trails!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, you're so sweet! Thanks Nicky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your work out there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laurie- You totally rule my world... wanna get married?
    xoxoxox
    C

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ummm, YEAH! But don't you think Erik will be jealous?!

    ReplyDelete