Wednesday, July 14, 2010

One of those days?


Today was one of those days when things just don't go right for you, with respect to running anyway.  It was a pretty steam day, heat index of 100+.  I was looking forward to the run all day, even though I knew it was going to be hot.  I just imagined myself relishing the heat.  I knew it would slow me down, but I didn't think it would hinder me much.  That's right.  Even after running for 7 years, I'm still an idiot some days.

I planned on running a 5.5 mile loop solo, followed by a 4.5 mile loop with the group.  I brought my Nathan hydration pack because I didn't think a bottle would be enough at these temps.  That was one good decision I made.  After the first mile, I felt just fabulous at my slow but steady pace.  I scoffed at the heat as it clearly had no effect on me.

As I continued on, the spider webs became thicker.  I started running into big webs.  The big strong webs are the creepiest because there's usually a correspondingly large spider attached to them.  When I unknowingly run into a big web I let out a little scream.  When I see a spider hanging off me, I screeeeeam and dance around until I'm certain it's gone.  Truth be told, spiders want to get away from people as quickly as they can, so they're probably long gone by the time I'm done screaming.  But the sticky webs don't part so easily, so the creepy crawly feeling remains.

Well the web density was increasing and my legs were starting to get heavy and wobbly.  Not far from the 2 mile mark, I decided to turn back.  I was kicking myself as soon as I made the decision.  Before I knew it, I came across a young gentleman running back toward mile marker 2.  I didn't know him, but quickly decided to use him for my own ends!  Yes, I let him clear the trail of webs for me.  And I'm not ashamed.  Guys like that sort of stuff anyway, right?

I decided to continue on to 2.5 and turn back, staying on white the whole time.  I didn't know how far my trail sweep was going so I figured an out-and-back as opposed to a loop would be the best plan.  I also decided I was going to skip the second loop.  Despite taking an S!Cap at mile 2 and drinking lots of water, I was still feeling exhausted and started getting chills.  I figured 5 was good for today, especially since my training has been, well, nonexistent lately.

Before the 5 mile runs I did on Saturday and Sunday, I hadn't run in 2.5 weeks.  Damn thesis!  I finally said enough is enough and had to move my focus from running to getting out of grad school, which meant I had to cancel my plans to compete in the Headlands 50 Miler.  Ah well.  I'll live to race another day.  Once I'm done with school I can do whatever the heck I want!

So, today was "one of those days".  But more frequently than not, "one of those days" has more to do with "one of those weeks" or "one of those months".  Yeah, it was hot, but I can't help but think that my pitiful month of running has more to do with today's crappiness than the heat index.

No comments:

Post a Comment