Sunday, July 18, 2010

Hot and Humid

Yesterday morning Gary Henry and I met up with Lawrence Mountain Bike Club members to do some maintenance on the river trails.  Art King, president of the club, was our fearless leader.   We also met Lisa, Jeff, and Chad.

Gary and I managed to lop 2 miles of the west end of the trail in about 3 hours while the others worked on repairs to the east end, a section that's notorious for being soggy.  Gary snapped this photo of me trying to manhandle a pesky branch.


It got pretty steamy by the time we were wrapping up but a very small but sweet mountain biker made it all worth it.  Urged on by his father, a young boy of three or four came pedaling by on the tiniest bike I've ever seen and said, "Thank you for cleawing the twail."  What a sweetheart!

Sunday I woke up at 4:30 and after a 15-minute long internal argument, I kicked myself out of bed and got out to the levee for an early morning run.  It's been scorching hot around here lately and I wanted to get my miles in early.  I was also feeling wimpy about spider webs...which is why I chose the levee.

I was pretty miserable the first few miles.  Even though it was early, the humidity was killer.  But eventually my hair became drenched in sweat which kept my neck nice and cool(er).  I decided to keep my run to 10 miles, because I didn't want to be stuck on the levee when the clouds cleared and the sun came out.


I sprinted across the railroad tracks before this lovely train came through.  The sprinting was actually unnecessary.  I had time to take my hydration pack off, get out my phone and start taking pictures before the gates went down.


This is actually a picture with the KU campus in the background.  Unfortunately, like your sideview mirror, images are larger than they appear in this photo.  Anyway, the blip in the center of the photo is Fraser Hall, the highest point in Lawrence (I'm pretty sure).  Oh and of course, beautiful crops and a big ol' sprinkler make every picture better!


Corn.  I like the lines of the crop and the wavy pattern in the clouds.  What can I say?  I like patterns.  Could have something to do with me being an engineer.


When I finished my run, I was distraught to find my car key missing from my pocket.  If you know me, you know I'm "key challenged".  I'm constantly losing them and/or locking them inside the things they open.  Aaaahhhhh!  Then I glanced up and saw this.  My key resting on the trunk of my car.  My next thought was, thank goodness!  My next thought was, I'm an idiot!  I can't believe someone didn't steal my car!  My next thought was thank goodness!  The end.

Almost the end.  Sarah Henning and I put in another 5 miles on the river trails later.  It was slow and steady in the early evening heat.  My ice-filled bandana was a life saver!  So was the great company.  Did I mention Sarah brought me chocolate snickerdoodles?  I have the most awesome friends.  

1 comment:

  1. that's so funny about your keys! I think I remember reading a post a while back where you lost them(?) What is this bandana with ice thing you have going? I need to try that.. can you provide a picture or description of that? Nice job on the miles!

    ReplyDelete