Thursday, February 24, 2011

Run Out Those Frustrations!

I had high hopes for running earlier in the week.  I don't remember exactly why I didn't run on Monday.  I wanted to go to the grocery store and cook dinner maybe?  Tuesday I had to leave work early to take care of some bs, which caused me to miss my planned run with the girls in KC.  It also meant I had to work late from home to prep for a meeting the next day. 

Most of this week's grief has been caused by...ohhh never mind!  The bs mentioned above.  I don't want to get myself in hotter water.

So my first weekday run was last night.  My legs were feeling 100% post-race.  Nick started out in front but before long had to step off to the side, because our new dog had to use the trail facilities.  I took the lead and after a few minutes was feeling the burn.  In my lungs.  I thought about slowing down, but my legs really wanted to go that speed.  So I said, "Ok legs.  Have it your way.  Let's go!"  I also figured, "Hey, we're only going 4.5 miles.  I might as well give it all I've got."  Honestly, I didn't feel like I was going that fast.  I just figured my lungs were being lame.

I think I did pretty well at keeping the same pace the whole time when Roxy Dog wasn't causing me to trip over my own feet.  She usually runs ahead, so I know she's pooped when she's running next to me.  I don't think it was my pace that was the problem but the fact that she had run 3 days in a row.  She's not a young pup anymore but she can still run 5-10 miles pretty easily.

Well it was just a fabulous run.  We gave new Lawrence Trail Hawk member, Chris, his hawk name.  Giving someone a hawk name involves asking many probing questions.  We found out that Chris had climbed Mount Kilimanjaro.  We all agreed that was pretty badass so set about coming up with a name based on this awesome achievement.  Kilimanjaro Hawk?  Too long.  Kil Hawk?  I liked that one because it was my idea.  Kili Hawk?  Sounds girly.  Finally Micah came up with Summit Hawk.  And we all loved it.

When we got to the final section of switchbacks which always seems like more of a pain than it looks like, I decided to power up it.  I always feel like the slower I run up hills the more torturous it is.  So why not just get it over with?  Clarification: I do not use this philosophy in ultra running.  I also like to run the last section pretty fast.  After the switchbacks the trail is flat and straight.  I've always worried that I would trip and fall on my face running the last section but it never happened until last night.  Fortunately, I didn't fall on any rocks and the trail was moist and spongy.  Thank goodness for falling on the blue trail.  The white trail, which is parallel to the blue, is dotted with quite a few rocks.  I often have visions of myself falling face first into rocks and losing a bunch of teeth, but it hasn't slowed me down yet.  I hopped back up, said I was ok, and finished up the run at a good clip.

Gary was hanging out at the trailhead when we finished and commented that we were running along at a good pace and that he was glad he turned back at the road.  Nick said I splintered the group going up the switchbacks.  Well I guess my lungs weren't joking around then!  Anyway, feeling pretty good about my speed.  And looking forward to Coleen (newly certified RRCA running coach) getting my butt into gear for some short distance PR's: 5k, 1 mile and 400m.  I also owe a lot of my current fitness to my trainer, Whitney.  I even have a slightly noticable bulge where my hamstring is now.  Crazy.

1 comment:

  1. I think you're moving to a new level, Pix. Looking forward to seeing you do some real damage in upcoming races.

    ReplyDelete