Monday, February 28, 2011

Those Nagging Injuries

As many of you know, I injured my tailbone several weeks ago.  I wish I could relate some interesting account of the event which led to this injury, but it was simply unamazing (probably not a word).  This might actually add a layer of comedy to the whole situation.  Most people injure their tailbones by falling down.  Pretty easy to imagine during the winter in KS, eh?  So I will attempt to paint a picture of this most unmomentous occasion.

I am a total weanie about being cold while I'm standing still.  When I'm waiting for people at group runs in the winter you can forget about me being social.  I will stay in my car until the last person arrives before I tear myself away from the heated cabin.  Ironically, I heat up very quickly when I'm running.  Before you know it I've got my jacket tied around my waste and my hat and gloves stashed in my sports bra.  One time I even took my shirt off and ran in a sports bra and tights.  If you're guessing that I suck at running in the summer, you'd be correct!  Ding ding ding ding!

Well this was one of those jacket-around-the-waste days.  One of the guys I was running with needed to stop and retie his shoelaces, so OBVIOUSLY I decided it would be nice to sit in the snow.  1) I did not consider the depth of the snow before sitting down and 2) I had no knowledge of what this trail looked like without snow.  Sooo there was a sharp rock under the shallow snow where I decided to sit, which was perfectly aligned with my tailbone.  Lucky.  I remember thinking, "Darn that smarts!"  I moved my booty off the rock and took some deep breaths before getting back up.  I just assumed this experience would be like...when you hit your shin on something and you curse for a minute or two then feel all better.

The soreness didn't go away as we finished the run and driving home was one of the more uncomfortable things I've experienced.  I think the day after was the worst in terms of pain.  Who knew the whole body revolved around the butt?  Everything I did hurt.  Lying on side.  Ouch.  Lying on other side.  Ouch.  Lean forward.  A little better.  Learn farther forward.  Ouch. 

The good news is that my state was greatly improved over the first week.  The bad news is that it hasn't improved much over the past couple weeks.  I mean, it's not excruciating, it just hurts enough to be highly irritating.  So my doc friend tells me it's probably broken.  So I say, "Should I not run my race in a couple weeks?"  And he says, "You're not going to do any more damage.  If you can deal with the pain you can do it, but your butt will take longer to heal."  Hmmm.

Now I have a dilemma, because this isn't my only race coming up. 
So my current course of action is to try to take it sort of easy.  I'm not ready to throw in the towel on any of these races yet.  I'll try to stick to shorter, slower runs over the next couple weeks to reduce the amount of impact being trasmitted to my booty.  I'll take the 3 Day race one day at a time and might just do 1 or 2 days.  If I HAD to pick a race to not compete it, it would probably be Rockin K.  I could still volunteer and have a blast out there.  I really want to do Jemez.  I think it will be great training for Leadville and would really boost my confidence going into the race.

How annoying is it to have an injury that bothers you both when you're inactive (sitting too long) and too active (running too much)?!

1 comment:

  1. You know you're an ultrarunner when ... you only injure yourself doing things that have little or nothing to do with running. I don't know why but it's true.
    Hope you heal up more quickly than expected!

    ReplyDelete