Friday, April 1, 2011

Good Health: The Death of Interesting?

The past few days I've been thinking about how happy I am to be back to running, pain-free, mostly.  If you've been following my sob story over the past couple months you might know that I have had:
  1. a broken tailbone
  2. achilles tendonitis
  3. IT band syndrome, and
  4. I cry a lot?
Currently, my achilles tendons are just about all better.  My IT band feels good.  I've tested it up to 5 miles.  This being said, I'm not going to run the 50-miler this weekend (Rockin K) just because I had a couple good 5 milers after 3 weeks of pain.  In the absence of these pains, my body is now reminding me that I still have a broken tailbone.  There are a couple things that are irritating about this.  The first being that it feels about the same as it did 1 week after I injured it which was...2 months ago?  The second being that it doesn't hurt very much.  It hurts when I sit for a long time, like when I commute to work every day.  Or when I use a rowing machine.  So it's a long term nagging, but not debilitating injury.  Gosh, why couldn't I have something REALLY debilitating like a broken leg?  Ohhhh, I guess I'll stick with the tailbone after all.

So yes, aside from the tailbone, things are starting to look up!  This made me start pondering about what the heck I would write about once everything was all better.  Nobody wants to read, "I had a good run today," every day.  If I'm not telling my sob stories what will I talk about??  Well, I guess really good stories would be nice.  That assumes I have to be achieving new things.  But what new things do I have to achieve?  I've run 100 miles.  I don't want to run more than that.  I'm going to have to start being a LOT funnier if I can't come up with some real drama.

Luckily humans are highly evolved to be idiots.  So we spend our entire lifetimes learning and achieving new things!  Maybe it's because I was a late bloomer to this whole running thing, starting after college, but I'm still getting faster.  That's nice.  I'm also getting stronger, because I started working out with a personal trainer.  Now I realize I have so much more to learn and try.  I'm attempting my first mountain 100 in August.  Once I do that, I'll have to do another one, you know, to get good at it.

I don't see my learning and improvement process slowing down any time soon, but I am certainly terrified of a plateau.  I'm also sure that I have plenty more crappy runs in my future, as we all do.  So not to fear!  I may still have some intersting posts left in me.

2 comments:

  1. "Faster...stronger...learning...trying..." With that kind of addition to your training resume, the terror of the plateau has these with which to threaten you: a grade of yet unknown incline, and a huddle of friends, some yet unmet, to cheer your finish. Much confidence in you in both. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Broken tailbones aren't fun. Mine took a long time to heal and even now, I'll get twinges after sitting for long periods of time. Good luck with recovery.

    ReplyDelete