Thursday, May 5, 2011

Schedules

Sometimes I wish I could be like my boyfriend who really could give less of a crap about schedules, appointments and time in general.  But unfortunately I'm the type of person who is constantly thinking about what I have to do next.  It's a bit of a curse.  Or maybe it's a mental disability.  I spend so much time thinking about my schedule that even the fun things on my schedule, like spending time with friends, seem like work. 

I admittedly have a fairly light schedule compared to my friends with kids.  Things that fill my time include my Lawrence Trail Hawks presidential duties (writing e-mails, organizing activities, leading runs, volunteering), training for the Leadville Trail 100, cooking, and cleaning for house showings.  My least favorite of all these activities is of course the cleaning.  We rent our house and the owner wants to sell it, so we pretty much get nothing out of this deal.  We spend a lot of time cleaning and Nick spends a lot of time leaving work to pick up the dogs, so the owner of the house can make some money.  The realtor actually asked us to move all of our shoes and jackets out of the entry way, which was a serious undertaking.  See below.


When not forced to, we usually clean our house on the following schedule: before a party, and a few days after the party when we get tired of stepping in sticky margarita residue.  I know.  You'd probably mistake our place for an episode of hoarders.  Hoarders that collect stinky running socks in the living room.

Oh and I forgot to mention that we have a puppy who acts like a total s*** if we a) leave him alone too long or b) he doesn't get enough exercise but c) he can't run more than about 10 miles at a time.  It makes our weekend long runs a little challenging.  Anyway, as a results of the picture below, in addition to stuff like breaking a window, eating a mac power cord, eating a remote, eating the blinds, eating the couch cushion etc, we have no other choice but to crate him during the day.



But enough about how we're slobs!  On a typical day, I get up at 5, head out for my 45 minute commute to work, leave work around 3...which you think would leave me plenty of time to chillax, but no.  After I leave work I either head to a session with my personal trainer or go running.  Or clean.  Grrrr.  It's usually about 8 when I get home at which point I spend about an hour preparing dinner or cleaning.  Then I eat and it's 9 or 9:30 and I go to bed.  WTF?  Can't a girl sit down and read a book?  If I were less of a baby, I could stay up later and survive on 6 or 7 hours of sleep.  But I am definitely a baby.

Weekends typically involve long runs, trail maintenance, racing, volunteering at races, leading runs or a combination of those things.  I like all of those things, but they're all SCHEDULED events and apparently I have an aversion to those things right now.  What I'm saying is, it's really nice to have an evening or a weekend without any plans every once in a while.  Wouldn't it be fabulous if I could sit around and read for 6 hours?  Or maybe this pointless babble just means I need a vacation.

4 comments:

  1. I feel your pain darlin'! When I do have the odd day with nothing planned, I feel guilty and not sure how best to spend my time. Usually it involves cleaning the damn house!!
    Have you considered asking for a reduction in your rent due to the hassle of them showing the house all the time? Especially if Nick keeps having to leave work... it's worth an ask.. either that or tell them that you will be a lot less available to grab the dogs and/or keep the house clean. Renters do actually have rights in situations like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fail to see how that pic differs significantly from any given day when you--I mean your brothers--were growing up and I spent most of my waking hours cleaning. Read the book and teach the dogs to clean. You have my official maternal permission to GET OVER IT! This is my Mother's Day present to you: you made me the mother of my only daughter, and I'll forever be grateful to God and to you. Dad, eh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's total crap that you're not getting anything out of it. If you're going to be inconvenienced like that - especially Nick leaving work for the dogs then she should be compensating you somehow - $$ off the rent or something. I'm sorry you're dealing with this - so crappy!

    I feel your pain on the constant thinking about schedules to the point that even fun feels like a chore -you totally described me. I feel your pain about being over scheduled. I'm a serious simplicity kick right now - streamlining life because it all just feels insane! You are not alone feeling like this, let me tall ya.

    I'm a big fan of crating. I know it seems like horrible thing to some people - but it keeps the puppy safe (they can really hurt themselves breaking a window or swallowing a piece of the remote). If crate training is done right then dogs actually prefer being in there. And knowing you guys I know he's getting plenty of exercise and mental activities so there is nothing wrong at all with crating him. Some puppies just need that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes the best weekend is one full of plans - that you ditch.

    I'm a big baby too. Getting plenty of sleep is a good priority - it pays real dividends in all areas of your life. And it's one of the best things you can do for your training.

    ReplyDelete