Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Difference

Today I ran my second, potentially ever, pre-work run.  A few months ago, I wanted to try running in the morning, but I did not want to change my work/training schedule.  I normally get up at 5am for work, so I set my alarm for 4am.  Short story short, I NEVER got up at 4am. 

Last month, I decided I would try again, but this time I would rearrange my schedule.  I couldn't just start going into work later all willy nilly.  I had to push my personal training sessions back too.  What has happened to my life?  I used to just do whatever I wanted and still have time to spare.  Alas, the life of an ultra runner is busy and AWESOME.

I was going to start my morning runs last week, which I did.  Sort of.  I ran one morning last week and have run one morning this week.  I had lots of excuses for not running the rest of the days.  Some were good and some were not.  For some reason, I have a difficult time getting motivated to get out of bed and go running on a week day morning.  But why?

I'm used to getting up at 5am for work, and all I had to do was get up at 5am and run instead.  Sometimes I even get up at 4 or 4:30 on a weekend to get in a long run before it gets too hot.  And I actually look FORWARD to those runs.  What is wrong with my crazy head?  The best explanation I have is...expectations.  On the weekend, it's the weekend.  Once I'm done with my run, I go out for brunch, sometimes take a nap and usually get to do whatever I want for the rest of the day.  On the weekday, what do I have to look forward to?  Work, no brunch on the patio and NO nap.  I really like sleeping ok?  You are correct in surmising that I don't have children.

Not sure what will cure me of my weekday morning dread besides repetition, and maybe having a good run for once.

1 comment:

  1. When it comes to something you enjoy doing, at the (temporary) cost of other things you also enjoy doing, repetition MAY help eventually be your "overcoming" factor. But with those, like you, who choose their loves well, I sense that joy will conquer the clock long before mere routine sets in.

    ReplyDelete