Tuesday, June 21, 2011

I Fell Off the Wagon and I'm Moving On

Last week was definitely an off week for training and life in general.  I only totalled 40 miles for the week, which was about 20 miles less than I was planning on.  This was the first week I didn't even execute to my "weekend plan" which was a 30 miler on Saturday and a 10 on Sunday.  I got the 30 in on Saturday but it wasn't in a single run.  I think we've had a thunderstorm with torrential rain every frakkin day since Friday.  I love thunderstorms but they are not good for trail running!

So instead of doing our planned 30 miler on the trails at Clinton Lake, Nick and I set out for 20 miles on the levee.  Ughhhh.  The levee is a levee.  And there is a fine crushed gravel trail that goes along the top.  It is perfectly flat.  It is a little over 10 miles long.  There is shade along MAYBE a half mile of it, depending on the time of day.  Before Saturday, I actually had no idea how long it was toward the west, so we decided to run west.  It was only 6 miles that way, which was disappointing.  We had to run back and do the east wing of the trail too.  Now the run wasn't ALL bad.  The weather was actually fairly decent.  It didn't get too hot, and since the trail is so dang flat, we finished the 20 way faster that we normally would on a trail. 

After we had our traditional post run brunch at Mirth, I took a nap.  Duh!  If it weren't for work, I would nap every day.  We set out to do our final 10 miles at around 5 so we would finish up at dinner time.  Because of the aforementioned rain, we ran on the only dry trail in town.  The Lawrence River Trail dries particularly quickly.  At least parts of it.  Keyword is parts.  Soooo we ended up doing two, 5-mile loops.  I run on this trail so much, I'm starting to get a little sick of the 5-mile loop.  We ended up averaging 10-minute miles overall.  Nick pushed our pace a little on the first loop so I said I was leading the second loop and backed off a bit on the speed.  Overall, we ended up running 30 miles in about 5 hours.  I have never run 30 miles anywhere close to that fast.  I've actually only run 30 miles under 6 hours once.

Soooo I shouldn't have been surprised that my legs were incredibly crampy that evening and all day Sunday.  Probably should have treated myself to an ice bath.  Well I didn't end up doing the 10 on Sunday.  Shame on me.  But I just could NOT convince myself to do another 2-loop trek of the river trails or another run on the levee.  Well it's a new week, and while I haven't "zapped the zero" yet (Dailymiile speak), I am determined to rock the heck out of this week.  Next week marks the beginning of my taper for Lunar Trek 100k.

In other news, I'm moving to CO in August.  I am announcing it to the world.  Most everybody knows anyway.  I spend a lot of time complaining about the weather and running conditions in KS, but I am sure I will miss it when I move.  So far, Nick and I could only pinpoint that we would really miss fireflies though.  Maybe I will miss the large number of deciduous trees?  I will miss the drive through the beautiful Flint Hills, but I'm sure we will be visiting KS quite frequently so we'll see them about as often as we do now.  It goes without saying that we will miss all of our dear friends.  I've lived in KS for almost 20 years, so it will be a huge change for me.  Believe it or not, I've historically been a bit shy and antisocial, but I've made so many great friends just over the past four years since I got involved in the trail running community.  You've all made me feel loved and welcome.  We encourage all of you to move out to CO so we can run in the mountains together!  Or at the very least, come visit.  You have a place to stay.


P.S.  No, that's not Nick on the wagon.
P.P.S.  Did I mention I will miss my parents?!  You didn't think I would forget you, did you mom?  They're pretty awesome.  Nobody can do a Donald Duck impersonation like my dad and I'm pretty sure my mom's full time job is trying to fatten me up.  She is the dessert queen.  I might waste away in CO.  No, that is not an invitation to mail me cakes!

7 comments:

  1. I'm going to miss you!!! Guess I'll need to plan a trip to CO for some hiking and camping ;) Sooooo excited for you guys though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. " I spend a lot of time complaining about the weather and running conditions in KS, but I am sure I will miss it when I move."
    Ummm.... no you won't. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you said we'd have a place to stay while visiting ... and then saw the picture of the wagon ... my first reaction was "When I go to CO for a visit I get to sleep in a wagon!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. i know so many people moving to CO! i want to come. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a former Kansas native who was quite eager to "escape" after college, I submit my list of things you will miss below. (Though this is east coast specific, so living in Colorado you may still have some of these things):

    1. Real thunderstorms - the feel, smells, sounds, and sight.
    2. The chorusing of cicadas on a hot summer evening.
    3. Your parents.
    4. I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It might as well be me! Also it needs a sign, "Colorado or BUST!"

    ReplyDelete