Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Change is in the Air

I think it's pretty amazing how a physical environment can affect feelings.  As I've been leaving and driving to work the past couple days I've noticed significant changes in my surroundings.  The most obvious is that my morning commutes are getting noticeably darker.  And aside from that, the air just feels "different".  I don't know how else to explain it.  I can feel fall coming.  I can feel change. 

Yeah, I know fall isn't really close.  But the shortening days will eventually lead to cool fall weather.  This makes me want to ramble on about heat transfer (on a large scale), but I'll shut up.  Anyway, for the same reason that the hottest part of the day is later than when the sun is shining on us most directly, the shorter days don't immediately translate to cooler temps.  As a matter of fact it's unbearably hot right now.  I'm starting to get surprised when it DOESN'T reach 100 around here.  But even if the high is 105, I'm content now, with my ever darker mornings. 

There is another reason for my growing excitement beside the prospect of my favorite season arriving.  I'm moving to Colorado in...*checking calendar*...15 days.  So I'm getting pretty excited about that.  And the prospect of having a few weeks off work.  Or maybe more, since I don't have a job yet.  Sometimes things interrupt my daydreaming though.  Like packing and cleaning.  Alas, these things get in the way of running too, but I guess it's all worth it to be one step closer to living the dream with my sweetie.

Fortunately, enjoying change doesn't mean that we have to devalue the past or present.  I'm so thankful for all of my relationships with Kansans and even Missourians and wouldn't trade my past 20ish years here for anything.  I was lucky enough to see bunches of my friends at our going away party this weekend.  It was a BLAST!  Clearly.


Way to capture the ridiculousness, Elizabeth!  And if you thought that was ridiculous, you haven't seen anything!

This is a long story.


It appears Nick was so forceful with his offer of whiskey, Elizabeth had to beat him off with a pan!  And yet our friends still tolerate us.  It's amazing.  We're the luckiest.  So of course we'll cherish all our memories of our midwest peeps and look forward to their visits and return for ultras from time to time.  And we'll also appreciate all of our new experiences and friendships.  See what you have to look forward to Courtney and Luke!  Now you're in trouble.

3 comments:

  1. Ooooh, Laurie ... we'll miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you two are ready! We have just been playing it tame, wait till you get that whiskey and tequila flowing, you'll be in for it then! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We tolerate you!! Think it works the other way around! Super excited for you and can't wait to come visit...please let me know if you need anything!

    ReplyDelete