Thursday, November 17, 2011

I think I can, I think I can

I'm really trying to get in gear for my racing season. So far, my next race is the Sourdough Snowshoe race (30k) in January. Aaaaand since I haven't even RUN 18 miles since Leadville, I have a lot of getting in gear to do before I can snowshoe that far. Oh wait, I did do a flat 22 miles a few weeks ago. In Kansas.

Lately, I've been trying to increase my mileage and work on hills. I've started doing hill repeats once a week with running buddies Leila and Becca. They're both much faster than me and much better at hills, but in the end it'll only make me a better runner.

My biggest challenge lately has been the hills. It's not just the tired legs either. I've been having a really tough time breathing. I guess it's a combination of the cold air, the elevation and the climbing. Every few minutes I have to stop and spit all over the place so I can keep breathing. And as far as I can tell, I'm not sick. Maybe I have mountain asthma. I'm totally making that up. But even just hanging out at home, I get out of breath drinking water. Bah. Maybe I just need a few MORE months of acclimating. Anyway, I also plan to spend more time at the gym (I've been slacking), doing leg strengthening exercises to help with the hills too.

So hills are my biggest challenge, but my big goal is to just keep trying and not get bummed out just because I don't feel like I'm improving exponentially. I'll get to where I want to be a little at a time.

1 comment:

  1. Actually! I've been told that I have environmental / sports asthma by two different doctors.. whatever that means. So mountain asthma sounds totally possible to me! :D

    ReplyDelete