Sunday, February 12, 2012

Weekly Summary: 2/6-2/12/12

Day            Distance (mi)/Elevation Gain (ft)

Monday      3.7/negligible
Tuesday      blah
Wedneday   AM 1.6/negligible
                    PM 9/450
Thursday     blah
Friday          20/400
Saturday      20/400
Sunday        7.6/1200

Totals: 61.9/2450


Achievements
  • Back to back long runs! Woo!
  • Highest mileage week this year. Probably within a few miles of my highest mileage week ever.
  • Even with the high mileage my legs still felt pretty good. Sore muscles but no joint or ligament pain.
  • Saw wild turkeys, bald eagles and a fox.

Disappointments
  • The week started off slow.
  • Not much climbing this week.

Take Away
Sometimes the barriers to training are physical and sometimes they're mental. This week started off with a pretty big mental barrier. I was tired of snow and mountain trails. On Monday I drove down to Denver to attempt a snow-free 30 mile run but the trail I chose was far from snow-free. I only managed a few miles before I decided to call it a day. I could have tried to find another trail that was cleared of snow but it was just one of those days. I wanted to go home and pout. I kept the pouting up for several days in fact. After another failed attempt at a long run on Wednesday, due to the unexpected bitter temperature in the Platte Canyon, I gave up on the week being productive at all.

But Friday brought a renewed urge to visit that chilly canyon, so I donned many layers of clothing and emerged successful from a 20 mile road jaunt. Then I decided to try something crazy by doing it again Saturday. I recruited Nick and Ben to accompany me which made the run so much more pleasant. The views are truly beautiful so I wouldn't have been bored but the company kept me from focusing on my tired legs. And I was thrilled that even after 40 miles, I had no odd tweaks. Sore/tired muscles but no aching joints, IT band, achilles or anything. I guess this is what it feels like to be properly trained for something!

So despite the not-so-fun start to the week it turned out to be one of my best so far. I didn't focus on the big climbs or trudging through the snow. I managed to take a mental health break without compromising my training. But even if I had only run 20 miles this week, I would have stood by my decision. Sometimes when you've been training hard you just need a break. A few days to stop obsessing over mileage, pace, elevation gain, etc.


Etc
Lesson "learned". Sometimes you have enough knowledge to understand something but not the foresight to use it. I'm talking about weather! After experiencing the bitter cold mornings in Platte Canyon (10-15 degrees colder than home), I slapped myself on the forehead and said "Duh!" It's a narrow canyon and the road is right next to a river, of course it's going to be colder in the morning. So now I know to bring extra layers just in case when I run Platte River Rd. I haven't found any way to find weather information in this area because there is no town along the way. So I guess I'll just stick with the excessive amount of gear approach.



4 comments:

  1. Awesome week!!! Crazy mileage and glad you have no unusual aches and pain!! Woohooo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good for you. I'm glad your week turned out so well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Winter is about some blah running sometimes, no matter how beautiful the scenery.
    Way to get back to it after allowing yourself a couple of down days.
    I bet your fitness is approaching KILLER right about now.

    ReplyDelete