Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Weekly Update: 4/23-4/29/12

Day
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sunday
Totals
Distance (mi)
6.84
6.2
4.3
7.5
sick
sick
sick
24.84
Elevation Gain (ft)
1300
2000
400
1500
--
--
--
5200
Description
Neighborhood
Matthews/Winters
Flying J Ranch
Buffalo Creek
--
--
--

The Good
  • Got in some pretty solid climbing considering I didn't do a long run.
  • Finally ran the whole neighborhood route. No walking, no breathing breaks. Didn't seem so tough. Couldn't figure out why it's always been so hard. The mountain running is definitely helping.
  • Did a fun hill workout with Becca at Matthews/Winters. A good change from Green Mountain. The repeat hill was pretty technical, which kept it interesting. Only slipped and hit my shin on a rock once.
The Bad
  • By Thursday I was completely beat and walked most of the 7.5 miles at Buffalo Creek. Part of it was my legs, but I was probably also starting to get a cold at that point. My whole body was tired.
  • I was planning for a 50+ mile week, but the cold kept me from doing any long runs over the weekend. Aaaaaaaahhhhh! I went down to Buffalo Creek for a walk on Sunday and I thought my head was going to explode. I think it was the lower altitude + congestion. I couldn't handle the extra pressure. Ironic. Most people don't have LOW altitude problems. 
In terms of challenging runs, it was a really good week, but I'm still stewing over not getting that long run. This is the THIRD weekend in a row I haven't done a long run. Two due to my sickness and one due to my mom being sick. So I'm a little nervous going into Quad Rock 50 on May 12th. I'm considering doing a long run tomorrow - something in the low to mid 20 range - but many wise people have advised against it. I do have some good winter/spring training under my belt. I did 81 miles worth of racing in March and a marathon in April. What say the good people of the blogosphere? Long run (without a lot of climbing) to ease my mind or take it easy to make my legs happy?

When I haven't been running, which
has been every day for 5 days, I've
been experimenting with homemade chai.
Mmmmmmmm.

Also, I've been tending to my very first plant
(that I've actually cared to keep alive).
Rhubarb. And there's some parsley on the side.
I love my Ruby. I water her and sit next
to her in the afternoons.

No comments:

Post a Comment