Aid Station 1 (5mi)
- First mile was peppy. Rest of miles, not peppy.
- Hungry. Annoyed at being so hungry.
- Technical, slippery, rocky downhill sections.
- Got passed a lot.
- Lots of little streams/waterfalls. Up. Down. Up. Down. Must have been 5 or 6.
Aid Station 4 (18.4mi)
- Feeling peppy again!
- Feet starting to hurt after water crossing. The friction begins.
- Change socks at aid station.
- Forget to apply sunblock.
- Passed chick who previously passed me.
Aid Station 5 (22.6mi)
- Feeling good.
- Caught up to Larry and Brian.
- Chafed due to overfilled/leaking pack.
- Fun climbs. Did some fast hiking.
- Dried out and stopped chafing.
- Got to see crew. They found some sunblock for me.
- Devoured oranges and guzzled coke.
- Skedaddled to keep my lead on chick who passed me earlier.
Turnaround (Monkey Sam, 25mi)
- Was hoping to catch up to Deb but found out she was about 1.5 miles ahead of me.
- Found Monkey Sam, the sign to turn around. I'm not sure who Monkey Sam was but he said to turn around.
- Very excited.
- Determined to negative split.
Aid Station 6 (27.4)
- Found out Sarah had gotten off course and was a couple miles behind me. Poor Sarah. :(
- Gained a new competitor in red shirt guy.
- Picked up socks at the aid station for later.
- More oranges and coke!
- Red shirt guy picks up a pacer.
Aid Station 7 (31.6mi)
- Feeling good!
- Can't find the trail for a minute. Red shirt catches up.
- Lots of downhill helps with speed.
Aid Station 8 (unmanned, 35.7mi)
- Red shirt guy closing in.
- Slowing way down on technical sections. Waterfalls/big rocks.
- Walking slower on uphills.
- Lots of rocks.
- Feet hurting.
- Was going to change socks after bit water crossing but realize that was dumb with wet shoes.
Aid Station 9 (40.5mi)
- Red shirt passes.
- I'm gassy.
- I just want to be done.
- Tired of super sweet Honey Stinger gels.
- Section seems WAY longer than reported. 4.8mi takes 2 HOURS?! I WAS doing some running.
- Great to see crew!
- Change socks.
- Drink coke.
- RD, Steve, says I'm looking great, but I'm SO tired!
Aid Station 10 (45mi)
- Glad to be back down by the river. Cooler temps.
- Get back ahead of red shirt.
- Feeling better.
- Not sure if I need to go to the bathroom.
- 5 seconds later I definitely have to go to the bathroom. Luckily, I'm at the aid station!
- Use the bathroom. Walk out of bathroom. Run back into bathroom. Finally done.
- Pumped to be on the home stretch.
- Determined to run the whole way.
- Decide to walk part of the first hill.
- Think: Only really fast marathoners poop their pants. Ultrarunners go too slow to have to poop their pants.
- Happens: Uhhhh, I think I just pooped my pants.
- Red shirt is getting closer.
- Competitive spirit dictates that I not stop running.
- Reach into pack, pull out tp and clean up without stopping.
- Red shirt closes in as we go up a hill. Gives shouts of encouragement. He's running. I'm walking.
- Oh damn. Red shirt doesn't know I only have 2 hill speeds at this point. Walking slow and running like a madwoman.
- Drop red shirt.
- Drop other guy who passed me earlier.
- Determined to not put on headlamp.
- Finish without headlamp in 12:24.
- Do not negative split, but only 4 minutes slower than first half.
- Feet hurt.
|This was actually my Day 1, 50k finish. So much pep in my step! Photo by Travis Liles.|
|Right after 50mi turnaround. Lots of step pep! Photo by Susan Donnelly.|
|40 miles in. No pep. Photo by Nicole Green.|